FORVM TEMPLI

TEMPLVM Project Discussion Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 09:30:06

Marcus Lanna Lupus
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 67.0

Animal sacrifice to Diana

Hi everybody. The altar of Diana is built and it's time to dedicate it. I had a doubt. Is it correct to dedicate it with an animal sacrifice? Does anyone have ancient sources about this issue?

Thanks to all.

#2 2018-06-26 11:08:03

CORVVS
Website
LinuxChrome 65.0

Re: Animal sacrifice to Diana

All I found is one mention of that story of Servius's sacrifice of a cow and another mention of offerings of goats (I guess she-goats) to Atremis.
I am also re-reading Aeneid now trying to find mentions of animal sacrifices for Venus and Diana.

#3 2018-06-26 22:13:56

JuleKayser
Windows 10Chrome 67.0

Hey, I read through some academic lierature (so as trustworthy as we can get i asuume) and it seems like yes, animal sacrifice was used for the dedication. Specifically it must be a female calv, as it seems like this was tradition since the erection of the altar for Diana in Rome on the Aventine Hill. Pine cones were used much more as I could gather from the books.
This is what I found:
1. ,,On the first suitable day for the sacrifice, the sabine led the heifer to the temple of diana in rome and set it before the altar [...] Meanwhile the Roman sacrificed the heifer to Diana, an act that was gratifing to both the king and the citizens". (History of Rome, Book  1, p. 64f).

2. I found a picture in Holloways Constantine which shows him sacrificing a calf to Diana. (Holloway: Constantine and Rome, p. 23).

3. There are a few more mentions i found about unspecified animal sacrifice to diana, especially from hunters. But as I said it seems like in general, pine cones are way more common

Michele Lowe argues that no animal sacrifices where made for Diana, but she concludes that from a single play where Diana is left out so I think we can dismiss that.

Hope I could help!

#4 2018-06-26 22:37:07

CORVVS
Website
Windows 7Chrome 67.0

Thank you very much, my friend! Great academic work! What do you think, amice Lupus?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] CCBot

Board footer